Sixth Form Admissions
Nearly 90% of our Year 12 entry is drawn from the school’s GCSE student roll.
Each year, however, we accept a small number of students from other schools. Sixth Form entry (for day students and boarders alike) is subject to availability and the attainment of a minimum of 40 points at GCSE, or the equivalent for candidates overseas, where:
- A* = 8.5 points, A = 7 points, B = 5.5 points, C = 4 points, D = 3 points (as per the Department for Education gradings).
- Points for the new Maths and English GCSEs will be on a 1-9 point scale corresponding with the new 1 to 9 grades; e.g. a grade 9 will get 9 points in the performance measures.
- At least an A grade / Level 7 at GCSE in the following subjects in order to study that subject at A Level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French and Spanish.
- At least an A grade / Level 8 at GCSE Maths to study Further Maths at A-level.
- At least a C grade / Level 5 in English and Maths at GCSE
(Please note that this is a minimum requirement and that the majority of external candidates are predicted to attain significantly superior GCSE qualifications.)
We usually have very few boarding spaces for Year 12 entry and that this will vary year on year. Only those students who have the highest predicted grades will be invited for interview when the registration period has closed and when we are confident of the number of spaces we can offer. For entry in September 2016, we only had 6 girls’ boarding places and 8 boys’ boarding places available for external applicants. For day students we normally have an additional 20 spaces available for external students wishing to join Cranbrook.
SIXTH FORM ENTRY SEPTEMBER 2018 – Admissions process for entry in September 2018 opens on 1st September 2017. Further information on the application process will be posted soon.
Please refer to our Day and Boarding Admissions Policies for more details: click here to view
As one of the country’s few State boarding schools, the education provided by Cranbrook School is free to day students and boarders alike. The only charges levied by the Governors go towards boarders’ accommodation and live-in costs – far lower than Independent sector fees.
Boarding Fees for the 2017/2018 academic year:
Years 12 -13 – £5,090 per term
For any enquiries, please contact the Registrar.